These delicious little cakes are a play on the traditional chocolate and vanilla whoopie pie but with the addition of a bright green buttercream to get you in the mood for St Patrick’s Day.
150g chocolate (we recommend minimum 70% cocoa solids)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
½ tsp baking power
140g butter (room temperature)
280g icing sugar
Green food colouring (we recommend 100% natural food dye)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/250F/Gas 4
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper or a silicone sheet
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, ensuring the bowl does not touch the water.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla, then fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder in to the bowl and fold in gently.
- Drop a tablespoon of mixture on to the baking trays to create each whoopie pie half. Aim for 12 per sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until they feel springy to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in to the top.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, cream together the soft butter and icing sugar until smooth.
- Add food colouring (paste works best) until the desired shade of St Patrick’s Day green!
- Spoon the filling on to one half of the whoopie pie, and sandwich with another.
[Image provided by WordCamp Montreal: Whoopie Pies ]