I came across this recipe a few weeks ago and I’m yet to find a more deliciously peculiar cupcake!
Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nick_d/2977848508/
Cookie Monster Cupcake Recipe
Cupcake mix (makes 6 medium cupcakes)
50g Self raising flour
50g Caster sugar (superfine)
50g Butter or margarine
250g unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
Sprinkle of vanilla
Milk – no more than 4 tablespoons
Blue food colouring
Cookies (any brand)
Cupcake Sponge Recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 160°C | Gas Mark 4) and place paper cases into a muffin tin
- Using an electric whisk, food processor or wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in the egg, beating it well
- Fold in the flour
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, pop the cakes back in the oven for a few more minutes. Lift the cupcakes out of the muffin tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Butter Frosting Recipe:
Mix the unsalted butter, icing sugar and vanilla
- Add the tablespoons of milk, one tablespoon at a time and stir in well
- Whisk for 10 minutes
- Take out 4-5 tablespoons of the mixture and keep in a separate bowl
- Add the blue food colouring to the remaining mixture. Stir well.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, cover them in the blue butter frosting.
- Next make the coloured coconut. Add a few drops of food colouring to the coconut and coat thoroughly. Spread the coconut out on wax paper to air dry for a couple hours. To make the coconut better resemble the Cookie Monster’s furry coat, you can pulse the coconut in a food processor.
- Sprinkle the tinted blue desiccated coconut over the cupcakes.
- To make the eyes, pipe out two balls of white butter icing (use a baggie with the corner snipped off if you don’t have a pastry bag)
- Add a chocolate chip, with the flat surface facing upwards, to each ball of white butter frosting
- Use a sharp knife to make a cut for the mouth and wedge in your favourite cookie
- Enjoy….and try not to eat them all at once!